Flourless almond and orange cake
This gluten and dairy-free recipe draws from the Sephardic history of Morocco, the Mediterranean, and the Middle East. This traditional almond-based dessert has been lovingly adopted as a Fleurieu favourite.
2 Large Oranges
6 Free Range Eggs
250g Almond Meal (Ground Almonds)
250g Caster Sugar
1 tsp Baking Powder
Icing Sugar to Serve
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Wash the oranges well and cook in the boiling water for 2 hours. Drain, allow to cool to room temperature, remove pips and blend to a pulp in a food processor.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Grease and line a 22 cm cake tin with baking paper.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs and caster until well combined.
- Stir in the orange puree followed by the almond meal and baking powder.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and dust the top with extra caster sugar. Bake for 1-1¼ hours, until the top is golden and crisp and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin. Dust with icing sugar, cut into slices and serve.